Teaching and Learning
- During T&L encounters, manage time in ways that facilitate making important teaching points for learners at different levels.
- Teach basic principles effectively.
- Adapt teaching of new information based upon assessment of learners’ existing foundation of knowledge.
- Write effective cases and scenarios for teaching and learning.
- Remain aware that s/he is a role model for learners, even in informal situations.
- Be comfortable precepting learners at different levels (e.g., medical students, 2nd-year residents).
- Be comfortable precepting procedures - OB/Gyne/Skin.
- Plan and present lectures and other kinds of programs to large groups.
- Be comfortable using presentation technologies including PowerPoint.
- Interact effectively with senior faculty.
Administrative & Management Skills
- Describe the skills a residency director needs to be successful in today’s healthcare environment and assess his/her own competence in those skills.
- Negotiate contracts from the point of view of the employer.
- Manage staff effectively.
- Create or form committees.
- Demonstrate familiarity with state and federal regulations impacting medical education.
- Demonstrate familiarity and comfort with negotiation terminology.
- Demonstrate increased skill in negotiation.
- Describe the skills a residency director needs to be successful in today’s healthcare environment and assess his/her competence in those skills.
- Locate a suitable mentor, establish and manage a productive relationship with him/her.
- Foster successful trust relationships with residents, medical students, faculty and staff.
- Describe the mission and goals of his/her organization.
- Explore career alternatives and create a short-term (5-year) career plan.
- Mentor residents and students effectively.
- Use a “mental model” of the research process in institutional context to identify barriers and opportunities for his/her own research.
- Work effectively with the IRB.
- Develop realistic time frames for his/her research.
- Demonstrate a working understanding of statistics at a level appropriate for his/her work.
- Demonstrate a working understanding of research models.
- Demonstrate a working understanding of the grant development process and develop fundable grant proposals appropriate to his/her research areas of interest.
- Function as an effective research mentor.
- Effectively allocate his/her time among teaching, clinical, service and research commitments so as to achieve his/her goals.